This with intestinal health is such a huge and wide area, which has made this post take longer than I had planned. I have namely wanted to write this post about how I restored my bowel on my own for a very long time. I will try to stay a little short but promise nothing.
This is how it is, I have always had an intestinal health in super good condition but I have probably not known about it or at least not appreciated it before. I could eat stone basically and nothing happened. When I went abroad, I never got a stomach ache, not even the time I drank water daily from a water tank whose lid had flown away and the water was dirty. I only discovered it when a caterpillar came through the crane. Disgusting I know, but it did not make me sick to my stomach. Pretty incredible. But everything changed when I took a longer course of antibiotics. It knocked everything out! All good intestinal bacteria and my good intestinal health disappeared in a few weeks. I could no longer eat the food I always ate, such as beans, lentils, mango was completely impossible. I got such a stomach ache and I went to bed if I ate a piece of mango. I did not understand anything. Something was wrong but I did not understand what it was until I realized that it was the antibiotic that destroyed my intestinal flora.
I tell all this because I always think it is important to try to figure out why things have gone wrong so you can more easily understand what it is you need to do to fix the problem. Functional medicine, not just try to relieve the symptoms but go to the bottom. Sometimes it is not known what causes imbalance in the intestinal flora, but common causes can be, for example:
- Prolonged stress
- Antibiotic treatment
- Too much processed food
- Too little sleep
Most often you feel that the intestinal flora is not in balance, but sometimes you are so up in life that you do not listen. Common signs of imbalance in the intestinal flora are for example:
- All of a sudden you do not tolerate food that you have always eaten (you become gassy, unlocked, get cramps, etc.)
- You often get sick (70% of the immune system is in the gut)
- Bad mood (the gut produces several of the hormones that regulate our mood, such as seratonin)
- Poorer skin (poor intestinal health has been linked to acne and eczema)
- Poorer sleep (a disturbance in the intestinal flora affects serotonin production which controls our sleep, among other things, there are also links between chronic fatigue and lack of variation in the intestinal flora)
So in my case where it was about an antibiotic cure that knocked everything out, it meant that I had to build everything from the beginning. Sometimes it is a little simplistic to say that you have to eat more fiber, but in my case it was impossible to eat fiber in the form of beans, lentils and chickpeas, etc. The only thing the stomach could handle was pasta, rice with butter and white bread .. so what do you do then? I started a plan, quite long term but thorough. My plan was to build and strengthen long-term and the following food / things I started to introduce.
- Probiotics / prebiotics cure from the pharmacy. I was in urgent need of billions of good bacteria. Lactic acid bakeries are especially effective in antibiotic regimens.
- Kombucha at least 1 / week
- Fermented food 2-3 / week (sauerkraut, red cabbage, etc.)
- Melatonin cure to sleep better and heal during the night
- Slowly introduced more fiber again (eg after 3 months I ate 1 tablespoon of lentils and stepped up slowly) Start with water-soluble fiber from vegetables and fruits.
- Long walks to reduce stress and get the gut going.
My stomach is now completely restored but I do not take it for granted anymore but I continue to think about the points above quite often. I do not want to end up where I was last, when my stomach is out of balance it feels like my whole life is out of balance. By the way, I can recommend Dr.Mat who has a lot of what I ate to recover.